Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ticking Clock? Hmmmm.....

It seems that lately, several conversations and situations in my life are surrounded by children. That's just the stage of life I am in. Being a teacher, I happen to love them but I'm perfectly content being a single woman without children. However, lately, that has started to change (at least a little).

Starting about two years ago, I met and started falling in love with Alissa's daughter Abby. She LOVES to sing, has a contagious smile, makes the funniest comments, and is cute as a button. I have two Abby originals hanging on my refrigerator. They are signed and everything!

Then, I have had the chance to meet a wonderfully Godly woman at church who has two beautiful children. Her daughter is seven and is smart as a whip! She is fun to talk to and is so outgoing! Absolutely precious! Her son is four and he melts my heart every time I see him. He has a huge smile and is the most cuddly hugger. Between the two of them, I am sunk!

There is a couple at church that Erin and Gregg are very good friends with. They have a daughter that is a few months over a year old. I can't sit behind her because I can't take my eyes off of her. Big blue eyes, red ringlets, and a smile that goes from ear to ear. I got to hold her once and I've wanted to do it again ever since.

As if that isn't enough, one of my co-workers had her 13 month old daughter at work yesterday. She was the most beautiful chunk of a baby I have seen in a while. She was smiling and flirting with everyone. My arms ached to hold her.

As I walked away from my friend and her baby, something that I once heard ran through my head. A friend told me that women start feeling that longing for children around 28 if you haven't had them already. I never put the two together but here I am, 28, looking at babies and little ones with more longing than I have in the past. I'm not ready to be a mom yet (thankfully) but I'm wondering if this is the start of that ticking biological clock. I still have plenty of time so I'm not worried. They are just all so cute and so loving!

Good think I have the best birth control ever - teaching!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

OK, you've blogged about Alissa and Abbie now. What am I, chopped liver? I'll be awaiting your upcoming blog on the strappingly handsome, mind-bogglingly brilliant, and irresistably witty guy that you used to go to church with.


And then you can write about me!

The Johnsons said...

I know I told you this - but get a dog. I know it's not the same but they are so wonderful! Maybe you can share some of your maternal insticts there to care for pet. I love my Roarke!