Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Slump

Every year, I reach a point where I step back and think. "I could be perfectly content to not ever teach again. It is life consuming, stressful, and like beating your head against a wall that will never give!" Usually it hits around Spring Break but this year, it has come early.

Part of my problem is that I have bitten off a little more than I can chew with tutoring groups. However, that is not my biggest stress factor. It comes in the form of the LARGE amounts of time that we are losing from out instructional block. Each week, I lose an hour and a half to a district mandated computer program, half an hour to counselor lesson (literally an Arthur video EVERY week), and half an hour to library. Grand total of three and a half hours. Doesn't sound like a lot but it is! On top of that are the ENDLESS modifications in my class and the "oh! and one more things...." that land in my inbox each day. I just step back and wonder if this is the life that I truly want for myself - and eventually for my future family. Every year I get over it but what does it mean that it happens every year?

OK....I'm finished venting! Off to work!

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Oye. What's with the mandated computer program time?! I like cutting and coloring much better!

Jaci said...

no advice. but big hugs and hoping you can figure things out!!! miss you!!!