Friday, February 08, 2008

My Rivers

Being the reader that I am, I love to understand the literary symbols in novels. Rivers usually stand for change or cleansing. For me, sitting by the river has always been relaxing. At the same time, they have always represented adventure. My mind has been on two rivers lately - both in Colorado. For different reasons, I love them both. They are peaceful and wild. Surrounded by glorious mountains, they were perfect for my soul.


The first is the river that flowed outside the cabin we stayed in on our last family vacation. We walked down to it and waded in a couple of times. Erin and I talked down there for a while one afternoon. I don't remember what we talked about but I do remember it being one of the more relaxing and enjoyable parts of our vacation. I also remember falling asleep to the sound of it flowing just a few yards away from my door. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and listening to it wash away every care or concern, carrying my back to sleep.



On the same vacation, Dad and us kids hit the rapids (I'm the yellow helmet on the left). So much fun! The river wasn't the highest rated rapids but we enjoyed it. The power of the river bounced us around and kept us on our toes. We never knew exactly what to expect but at the same time, we looked forward to any turn or jolt along the way. We had a great guide and we knew we were in good hands.




Right now, I long for both. I miss them both. For the first time in a long time I am not planning a trip for the summer. That isn't a bad thing but tonight, I miss my rivers.

1 comment:

Amy said...

How ironic; as I read your post, Dad and I are in his office, hanging up Daniel's newly framed print and the other pictures that mean a lot to him. Two of the 4 - rivers!!

Let's plan an outing during Spring Break!!