Thursday, November 22, 2007

Chance Encounters

Hebrews 13:2 tells us: "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Now, I don't know about entertaining angels but this verse has always given me the gentle reminder that even our chance encounters can be significant. Yesterday, I have been blessed by many people that I do not know. At the grocery store yesterday, I ran across three people who significantly put a smile on my face. Let's face it, grocery shopping the day before Thanksgiving can be a less than cheerful event. Thankfully, it all turned out fine.
  • One man stopped me in the produce isle and told me to keep my pretty smile. He mentioned that when we both came into the store, I smiled at him before turning to grab my basket. He said that he had seen me smile at everyone I came across as I was looking for fruits and vegetables. I don't remember seeing him at all before that moment.
  • Another was a lady who saw my A&M shirt. Every time we passed each other, she smiled and said "Gig 'Em". Throughout the whole store. She was cute.
  • An employee that was helping me find something in the frozen food section was SO friendly. He went on and on about Thanksgiving and what a great day it was. He was so excited and it was a bit contagious.

We never realize who we are going to meet or the impact we may have on them. At the same time, we never know how we will be affected. A simple reminder for our daily encounters. What a blessing!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Darla said...

Oh, I so-o-o-o-o-o agree with you. You never know who might be watching or who you may have a lasting impact on by a simple encounter.

AND what if the reverse had happened. You frowned, and frowned and groaned and complained all the way through the store.

What kind of impression would you have left?!

Enjoy your family!
I am!