Thursday, March 29, 2007

Authentic Prayer

I have been thinking about public prayer a little bit lately. Alissa and I talked about this last week on the way home from Bible Study. Tonight, it ran across my brain while a lady was closing the discussion portion of the evening. Just thought I would share...

I think (and could be wrong) that we have learned how to lead a public prayer. I don't just mean men in worship either. Women in study as well. Very formal and without much expression. What if we prayed publicly like we do privately? I don't mean the bearing of our innermost struggles but the passion to which we praise, cry out, beg, and thank? What would that do for a body of believers? Can you imagine the growth and call to personal relationship? What are we so afraid of? Honest prayer? I know someone who wouldn't mind!

I heard a woman today pray over our group and I felt a sincerity in public prayer that I haven't heard in quite a while. No formulated words practiced over time. I knew she was talking to her savior and I wanted to draw in too. I have no doubt in my mind he was right there listening to all her of her sincere words and poured out heart.

What a blessing it would be!

2 comments:

Darla said...

You are so right. If we could pray publicly like we pray privately our prayers would sound and feel very different.

There are a number of women whose prayers I love to hear, your mother is right up there with the best. Beth M. is also, haven't heard hers in a long time.

Public praying is difficult for a number of us and I have noticed living among all these guys that this is true for the men as well as women.

andrew said...

I agree. My private prayers are very different from public prayers. Every now and then a "private moment or thought" will sneak out in public. I often wonder how others would relate to my "private" thoughts.

I must say though that it is hard to lead a public prayer and to try to meet every persons needs. I think that is why our public prayers seem to be so formal and stilted. We try to be too general. I do know that when someone responds or asks me to pray for them, I ask for their specific concern because I believe in praying specifically for people and situations. I think this is what God wants and what he expects. So stilted or not, public prayers are what they are. Maybe we should allow ourselves to be more open to God, and to others, in a public way. In doing so we may be able to encourage others. It may bring us more in tune with what God wants for his people...that loving, open relationship of one who cares for His children and we for our Father.