Saturday, March 03, 2007

Politics and Religion - Dangerous Combination

Lately I have been disillusioned with many things in the government. I can't back anything up except that I know what I believe to be right and fair. I've been looking at various political parties to see where I might "fit". I find that there is one I am heavily drawn to. However, they have a strong stance for individual rights. We all know what this means and I do not agree with some of those rights.

Example: I was talking to someone in the medical field. They told me that they disagree with abortion with everything in their being but they will vote pro-abortion every time. When I asked why, the response that I got was that people will find ways to do what they want. We should at least make it safe for them instead of going to some shady, chop shop where they might seriously injure or kill themselves. While I'm not sure I agree but I do understand what they are saying.

I feel like imposing my beliefs on others opens a huge can of worms. After all, if I force my beliefs on other people legally, who is to say that the same can't happen to me one day?

So here is my BIG question: Does affiliating with a pro-individual rights party mean that I support what they are advocating? Does this make me a hypocrite as a Christian?

4 comments:

Amy said...

Yes.

Amy said...

Let me clarify... I think it does imply that you advocate their stance; say you donate money to a candidate for his/her campaign - that money allows them to continue preaching their "individual rights" retoric and convincing others to believe that way. Have I voted for candidates of that party - yes. Because after looking at the candidates, I felt THAT INDIVIDUAL was the best person for the job (usually more locally than nationally, in my case.)

However, your vote is your personal right as an American, and no one even needs to know how you voted unless you are so inclined to tell them. Are you a hypocrit as a Christian? That's for you to decide.

Jeff said...

I share this struggle. I don't trust the two major parties. I am opposed in principle to most aspect of the Democrat platform. The Republicans have proven that they don't actually believe what they claim to believe.

I am left with the Libertarians, who have no chance of winning. As a third party, they will be more inclined to act on principle rather than from pressure from special interests. I agree with their philosophy of government's role being minimal. The principles that they stand on are extremely appealing to me.

Unfortunately, if anything warrants being a one-issue voter, it is abortion. Economics, globalism, education, etc. all seem unimportant when innocent lives of children are being violently taken with legal sanction.

So this one extremely appealing party fails on the most vital issues. What is one to do? I certainly don't think one is hypocritical for voting for the best candidate available, realizing that no candidate will perfectly line up with one's personal viewpoints. But I don't know how to reconcile these things, either. I'll let you know as the '08 elections approach.

andrew said...

Ditto with Mom.