Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tribute to Harry

Even thought I have never been a singer, I cannot tell you how much I love music. Probably not as much as some but it is there big time. I probably get that from my dad. Not a performing singer but a definite passion for the art is there. Along with the love of music goes that that one artist that you have followed for as long as you can remember. For me that artist is Harry Connick Jr.

Harry is by far one of the best musicians EVER! Big Band to Jazz, piano to singing to drums. Even if you don't like his style of music, you have to appreciate the amount of talent the man has! He introduced me to the standards and started my passion that would later lead to Michael Buble, Tony DeSare, Erin Bode, and Jane Monheit. He also introduced me to many songs that I would later meet again in the barbershop world. He is from New Orleans and has done amazing things for the city since Katrina by using his God given gifts. I am impressed constantly but him.

The first time I heard Harry, I was in 6th grade. I had an instrument lesson after school and, while we were waiting for my mom to pick me up, my band director played Red Light, Blue Light for me. From the first scream of the trumpet, I was hooked. Dad took me to my first concert at the Majestic during his Star Turtle tour. During the encore, he marched around the theater and unknowingly popped me in the hand with a drum stick. Dad was pleasantly surprised with how much he enjoyed the show. David Robinson was there and got on stage to play bass with the band. Total ad lib and really good! Then, when he played the Municipal Auditorium, Julie and I saw him for his Come By Me tour. Back to the standards and big band this concert. Good times!!

Last night I was checking my email and Ticketmaster sent me the alert that he is coming to San Antonio again! I am SO excited! As soon as payday hits, I am (hopefully) getting tickets. This is his Oh, My Nola tour so it will be filled with New Orleans style jazz. Here is hoping for a third concert!

So...who do/have you see repeatedly in concert?

2 comments:

Amy said...

I saw today that Harry was coming - you HAVE to go!!

Probably Chicago the most times, but that's because of Dad... the
man who did it for me was Neil Diamond!! I've seen him 3 times, and still love his music. My dad took me the first time too, now that you mention it - I sat 8 rows from the stage, and Dad sat in the balcony. The things Dads do for their girls!

andrew said...

Without a doubt, Chicago is my all time favorite band. I have seen them...hhmmm...a number of times. There are also a number of bands that were popular in my college/young adult years that I would like to see if they came around again.

But my taste in music has changed a bit. I now enjoy mostly contempary jazz, mainly instrumental. Acoustic Alchemy will be in San Antonio on 4/6/07. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I can afford tickets.