Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Beating Myself Up

Yesterday our principal sent out an email stating that we were needing to be more punctual to our duty times and that she would be taking note of those who did not make the safety of our students a priority. Lucky me, me duty is on Wednesday mornings at 7:30 - first duty after the email.

So I get up this morning and start to get ready. I realized that I had to go to Wal-Mart before work so I stepped it into gear. I ended up getting to campus at 7:25. So I had to get my stuff and two cases of water to my classroom, snacks for my team to the lounge, and me to the cafeteria for duty in 5 minutes. I've got everything on me except the water. I reach down to grab and lift. As I am putting my adrenaline rushed body behind 24 bottles of water, the plastic wrapping broke and my fist flew up to meet me. Basically, I punched myself in the nose! All I could do is yell, "Ouch!" and cup my hands to my face. I tell you what, I can pack a wallop! It took a minute to gain my composure.

I now had about 3 minutes and am still in the parking lot. I had tears sitting in my eyes and my nose was red and throbbing. I hauled booty and went straight to the cafeteria. (I found two students along the way to take the water for me.) As I opened the door (only 30 seconds late), kids start avoiding me because I look like I am very upset - watery eyes, sniffing, sneezing, and sounding stuffy when I talked. Honestly, I can't blame them! I let them believe I wasn't feeling well. Would you want to tell 9 year olds that you punched yourself in the nose!?

And you thought the title was just figurative....

No comments: