Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Throwing in the Towel

Tonight I was going to try to make it back to Sugar and Spice. I've been looking forward to it for two weeks. Then, just like always, work got in the way. I had so many things come up that I just quit at 6:30 and left. I still had so much I should have done but I had already stayed too late.

The thing that is bothering me is this...Work is once again taking over every part of my life. Anytime I try to do anything not work related, work creeps in. It is a huge catch 22. If I stay and take care of work, I miss out on the things I would love to do. If I leave and attempt to have a life, I fall behind on work.

Is this what it's like to be an adult? Having to sacrifice everything to keep up with the job? This isn't a rhetorical question. I need to know. I mean, if this is it, I need to get over things and just learn to accept working 24/7. If it isn't, I need to figure out what to do to make things better.

I want to see people outside of work. I want to come home and relax without feeling guilty for relaxing or cleaning the apartment. I want to have a hobby. I want to see my friends more than once every couple of weeks. Is that too much to ask!?

2 comments:

Jackie said...

There's a line from a movie that goes something like this: "Being a banker, lawyer, businessman . . these are all fine professions and a fine life. But faith, love and poetry, these are reasons to live."

Take it from someone who has been called a workaholic on more than one occasion - don't. Work is NOT the center of your world. (Wouldn't it displace Christ?) LIFE IS TOO SHORT. - yes I meant to scream that. Seach for a medium and when you find the place where you decide to 'close down shop', than please, Dana, close down shop.
If you never hear what an old lady says ever, make this the exception. Plese don't do to your life what I did to mine for 10 years.

Cryssy said...

I think I agree with Jackie. Although, I haven't been there done that. I think you have to set priorities. I've never known a teacher that didn't have your problem. You have to decide what is more important. Some people just LIVE for that one child they will touch. Some people can't touch a child at all if they aren't happy before they do it. It just becomes frustrating to both child and teacher. What is in your heart is the only thing that only YOU can answer. Don't spend the next ten years trying to figure it out either. Love ya!