Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Pretty Ring


I have a pet peeve at work and my kids learn it very quickly. Because of past experience, lots of my students call me Mrs. instead of Ms. I correct them until I can't stand it anymore and then I pull out the ring lesson. I hold up my left hand and say "Look. No ring, no 'r'. Ms. NOT Mrs." Usually this works but a confused baby will always point to my Aggie Ring and say that I do have a ring. The other students give them the "DUH!" look but I love it. I get to have the talk with them, especially the girls, about the importance of my ring.

To me, my Aggie ring stands for so much more than my academic education. I stands for four years of personal growth and learning. It represents independence and intelligence. I tell the girls that it is more important than any other ring that they will receive because no one can give it to them. It is something you have to earn.

Since I picked up my Aggie ring, my fingers have changed and it doesn't fit quite right. The truth is...it falls off. I have "lost" it a few times when it slipped off and I didn't feel it. Well, the time has come, my friends, for that to change. I have decided to get it resized. I've made contact with the Association of Former Students to get all of the information I will need.

However...there is not so wonderful news. I have to MAIL it in. They want me to put my ring in a box and drop it into the US mail. I might be overreacting but I think not. It is bad enough that my finger will be naked for weeks until it is returned but it is also floating around out of my care!

This is not a happy thought!

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Well, as long as you have it for next Saturday! We are going to need all the support we can get against Nebraska! I can't wait, Love you! -Alissa

andrew said...

Way to go, Dana! Good lesson for life.

Anonymous said...

That is one of the best unplanned lessons I've ever heard. Good for you and I wish every girl (and guy) had someone ingrain those ideas in their heads from birth!!!

Amy said...

Sometimes letting go of something we love with all our hearts is the hardest thing to do. Another lesson for the kids.

That ring is lucky to live on your finger -

Anonymous said...

It's about time!! I can't count how many times i've seen that ring hit the floor. Now you won't have to walk around with your other two fingers holding it on, lol!