Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Book Review

About a week and a half ago, I made an impulse purchase. I was at Target and about to leave when I decided to take a walk by the books. Much to my surprise, I saw a new book by one of my two favorite authors. Sitting on the shelf was For One More Day by Mitch Albom. Without giving it a second thought, I walked to the register and paid for it. The goal was to read it in a week but that didn't happen. So, tonight, the goal was to read for 20 minutes and again it did not happen....Seventy pages later, I finished the book.

The book is about a man who is allowed to spend one more day with his mother who has passed away a few years before this story is set. It is about understanding why things happen and the healing that comes when the questions are answered.

Just like Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, the book left me thoughtful and reflective. Albom is one of those authors that just cuts you to your innermost being. He makes you stop and think about what you are doing and why. He has two resounding themes in his books. 1) Your actions have consequences. What is more important than your consequences is what you do next. 2) The "little things" are truly important in this life. Treasure them.

I love quotes. There are several that ring true to me in this book. The two that stand out significantly to me at this point in my life are as follows:

You need to keep people close. You need to give them access to your heart.

You can find something truly important in an ordinary minute.


Read it. Read anything by Mitch Albom. You will be better for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no attachment to the blog--- i'll you tonight after Grey's...i will talk to the boys this afternoon and try to get a hold of lin as well! have a tt-ee-rr-rr-ii-ff-ii-cc thursday!

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget sitting down and reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven on night and Tuesday's With Morrie as well. I cried like a schoolgirl as I finished them both. What an AMAZING author he is!