Monday, November 06, 2006

Home, Sweet Home

I am ready for a house. Not just any house but MY house. A place that I can make my own. Nothing big and fancy - just enough for me. A place where I can open my windows without worrying if the smokers below me will make my apartment smell like nicotine. My own walls where sounds don't travel from unit to unit. A place where the water isn't turned off every couple of weeks. A place where the college students aren't getting going just as I am trying to fall asleep. A place to establish and take care of myself.

Here's the catch...I've always said that I wouldn't have a house until I was married. A house feels very permanent so why invest in something so huge and then have to possibly change it when that time comes? I know...very over analytical but that's me. So I am going to compromise. I can't afford to buy a house right now anyway so I'll rent until I can. As long as I am out of an apartment, I'll be a happy girl. Get my feet wet in the whole house thing until life really settles down. Besides, there is no telling where I will land next.....

4 comments:

Jackie said...

lease with the option to own - - does Dave ok that?

and man, do i know what you're saying about wanting something that is yours. it's awesome, both in pride of ownership and responsibilities of ownership.

that wasn't very encouraging, was it? sorry.

Jaci said...

I am there!! but I know we cant buy a house here .. we could rent but its way to expensive!! So I cant wait till we get to texas so we can build ours!!! I say go for it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, me too!!!! Problem for us is that with a career in the Air Force, getting a house is too much work and not financially smart (is that right Dave??) But we plan on buying some undeveloped property for now and building a house when we retire (or are rich enough to have a "summer cottage" hee hee). If ya'll find any good, cheap land let me know!!

The Johnsons said...

Did you find something at Target to make your apartment feel more like a home?!