Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I'm Back!

Something beautiful happened on the way to church tonight. I was talking to my sweet friend Kami about absolutely nothing significant when I noticed it. I smiled. We aren't talking a small pull at the corner of the mouth. I'm talking an ear-to-ear, exploding off the face, there's no hiding it smile. As I realized what was going on, I noticed another thing...I felt good. Total peace and calmness. There was honestly no reason for it besides the fact that I was talking to my friend. For a moment, my brain quit scanning my 800 page to-do list and just rested. Everything in me felt calm rather than racing through 50 emotions. I was just there.

Then, just as I was wrapping my mind around this moment, I saw something in my mind's eye that brought me lost joy. I saw me. Not the heartbroken, confused, shattered woman that had taken up resident in my body but the hopeful, innocent, wide-eyed dreamer that I remember so well. It was almost like one of my students was looking at me with a "Can I come in?" look. I remember her so well and, I have to admit, I have missed her.

So here is to dreaming big dreams, reaching for high goals, and looking for silver linings yet again. It's good to feel at home in my skin again. It is good to be back.

(And Erin, looks like you got your wish! - Thanks for sharing a beautiful song!)

5 comments:

Cryssy said...

I'm so glad that you feel like yourself again. Don't let her get away again. And there are always silver linings...you just have to know where and how to look. Love ya!

jenn said...

hey, i know that girl! and i too have missed the real you! I'm so glad that you are FINALLY on the road back home, i hope you don't get lost again, but if you do, i hope you can trust your friends to let them help you find the way.

jenn said...

i'm sorry, i just noticed what i did! i used "them" when talking about your friends...i meant "us" surely didn't mean to exclude myself from that group:)luvyasomuch!

Jackie said...

the maturing thing stinks, I know. but while I watched what was happening to you, I hoped and prayed that it wouldn't sour your perspective.
and it hasen't. welcome home. I love you too much for words.

The Johnsons said...

Your smile is probably the thing I missed the most (it's so beautiful, a waste to have one so nice and never wear it!). And for the song - you are welcome. See - wishes do come true so live what you wrote - dream big!