Monday, August 14, 2006

Light the Corners of My Mind

Lately, my mind is buzzing with work and memories. Honestly, the first is there to try to keep out the second. In the times that work doesn't consume my mind, I am amazed at what pops up. We are being trained right now to have our students write about the "kinda-sorta important" memories because those are truer to life. Daily, I am more convinced that this is true. There are significant memories that come to mind. Yet, my mind keeps jumping to the everyday things - a song, a look, an inside joke, pet peeves, overused sayings, a hand on the back guiding through a crowd or up some stairs. Photographs and mental movies just waiting to be triggered. My mind keeps revisiting the corners where little memories hide only to be found when the work ends. I swallow the lump in my throat or find myself smiling to myself each time a new memory creeps in. So I head to bed tonight, anticipating what will happen between awake and asleep.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

The small things i think sift down and mold themselves into our centers until they no longer stand alone, but rather become a part of us. Maybe God does that to keep us sane.