Thursday, April 29, 2010

TAKS Observations

When you have NOTHING to do but watch students take a test (knowing your career and teaching certificate are on the line), you can have some pretty random thoughts. I have two.

1. Can you imagine being OCD and having to take a standardized test? Imagine having to bubble in all of your answers on a scantron. Torture, I'm sure!

2. Pretzels are the WORST snack to give out during the TAKS test. First, the eat them like a squirrel. I had no idea it takes so long to eat one pretzel! There are many ways to prolong it:
- Bite off each curve individually. Then eat the remaining branches one at a time.
- Lick all of the salt off of them and then proceed to the technique above.
- Bite each pretzel into a letter. Examples: A, B, C, D, J, K, M, R, S, V, W,Y Also, they can be bitten into a teardrop.
- Eat all the way around the outside of the pretzel (like a layer) and then go the other way to finish it off.
- See how many nibbles it takes to finish one. Whoever takes the most wins.

All are disgusting and delay the inevitable. My personal opinion - pretzels should be banned from the testing environment. Why not, everything else is!?

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Wow. This post is hilarious and slightly disgusting... :)

Amy said...

Our kids were given these "special" pencils in little tubes with stopper lids. My student put his in after each answer and took it out again for the next one.

Drove me nuts.

Mindi Tipps said...

Ha! This makes me glad I taught Kinder! :)