Sunday, April 11, 2010

Taking a Flying Leap

Last winter, I was trying to think of something big to do for the big 3-0. I wasn't too sure what to do but it was looking like a trip somewhere. Then one day I got an email from my friend Adrienne. She is Miss Adventure all the way (at least in my eyes she is). She had some photos of her at a trapeze school and I wondered if she would be up for skydiving. However, I felt really awkward asking someone to jump out of a flying airplane so I mentioned doing the trapeze. On me of little faith. Of course, Adrienne mentioned skydiving and the plan was made. So after months of anticipation, we met up this weekend to take the big jump.

It was amazing! I really think everyone should do it once. My instructor was wonderful - over 4,000 jumps under his belt. On the plane ride up, we got attached and he told me what to do and expect. When it was our turn, we walked up to the door and we were off. We did a back flip out of the plane and went into a 120 mph free fall. He tapped me and let me pull the chute. We slowed down and got to really enjoy the view. It was so beautiful! Watching others floating and spinning below me was so fun. He showed me how to steer and spin using the toggles and then let me control our path for a while. At one point I felt like I was floating through the middle of a movie. I heard him say, "I'm going to be the first guy to take you on a walk through a cloud." Next thing I know he is steering us in and around a cloud! It was very cool! He has the perfect line built in if he ever wants to sweep a girl off her feet!! We made a very gentle landing and exchanged a hug. I was over too quickly but it was so worth it!

Adrienne and me


Me before the jump

Me after the jump (obviously enjoyed it)


On the way back to Austin, I told Adrienne this jump felt very freeing. I know that there are a lot of things I have wanted to do but chosen not to because it didn't fit who other people think I am. I think this is one of those things. Most people I know would not pick me to skydive. I'm the dependable, responsible, two feet on the ground type of person. However, I just jumped out of an airplane! And it felt great! I am finally ready to stop limiting what I do base upon what I think others will expect and think. I loved the jump and am now ready for the next thing. The options are endless - a solo trip, zip lining, parasailing, hand gliding, and the list goes on. So keep your eyes open! You never know what I may come up with next.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana,
I am thrilled to share this moment with you! Live, my friend. And let nobody's idea of you control you-- go get your dreams!
Hugs,
A..

*Lin* said...

Glad you enjoyed it, crazy girl!

Amy said...

Shame on me if I have limited you in any way- I'm ready proud of your adventerous spirit; just don't leave Texas!! J/K !!

Mindi Tipps said...

Wow Dana! I am SO impressed! I'm not sure I could do it. I'm turning the big 3-0 this summer...maybe I'll talk Jeff into doing it with me?