Friday, April 16, 2010

Home

A few months ago, a friend of mine wrote a blog about how she was homesick. She moved to Egypt to teach school on a two year commitment and, at the time, has been there for about six weeks. As I opened her post and read the title, I expected to find lines about friends in Houston, places she missed, and the comforts of America. I should have known better. She has a heart for Cuba and it is her ultimate goal to move there permanently. She wrote that as much as she was enjoying Cairo and does miss Houston, her heart is longing to be where it fits best. While she has never lived there, being there fits.

I find this very interesting. While I see all kinds of spiritual significance to this small post, I'm not going to go there today. I know - you're shocked. Dana's keeping it light. It doesn't happen too often so you can relax and enjoy. :)

I can totally relate to what my friend was saying. Last weekend as I was in Austin, I felt at home. Everything in me relaxed because I was where I love and long to be. I love the abundance of independently owned businesses, the laid back atmosphere, and the lifestyle. I love the accessibility of the hill country while being surrounded by the healthiest city in Texas (tenth in the nation). Right now, that is not the path that has been set before me but one day I hope to find myself in a house in Austin (or somewhere very like it). I love everything about it. So as I thankfully continue with my day in Houston, I long for home.

What about you? Is there a place that feels like another home to you?

3 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

Selfishly, I would love to have you here in Austin! This feels like home to me. Jeff would say College Station will always feel like home to him. :)

Amy said...

While I admit to wishing you'd said "Pleasanton", I know your heart wants to head to Austin, so here goes: Go now, Dana. Don't wait for "tomorrow" and never be where you want. Life is too short.
As the Marines say, "Semper Fi."

Cryssy said...

All my extended family is in Austin. It is very nice there. And I'm with your mom...just do it!...oh wait that is Nike not the Marines...you get the idea though!