Wednesday, May 28, 2008

To Everything There is a Season

My lovely sister, Erin, has me watching a new show on TLC called Jon and Kate Plus 8. It isn't really a new show but it is to me. I've been watching reruns and have really enjoyed watching this HUGE family love and live. Being in Pennsylvania, they do very seasonal things as a family. As I have watched, there is a growing desire to experience one year of living in a place with real seasons. I've only experienced mild winters and deathly HOT summers. Not much in between. How fun would it be to have defined, actual seasons - four of them! Leaves and pumpkins in the fall, snow in the winter, beautiful growth in the spring, and an enjoyable summer. There are only two things that are a drawback for me in this grand plan. First, it is FAR away from my family. Secondly, I don't know how to drive in snow. That is a very scary thought to me!

I am in a season of my life in which I am desiring permanence. Something rooted and lasting. I go through stages where this feeling is panicky and unnerving because I don't quite have that yet. Thankfully, I find myself quite content right now. Houston has been good to me. I know that God has led me here for a purpose. I'm anxious to see what that is but in the meantime, I am enjoying this season in my life. Maybe I'll find myself in a place of seasons before this permanence comes. Maybe it will be in a few years when the folks are retired and the upcoming niece/nephew is old enough to travel. Maybe it won't happen at all. Who knows. Right now, I'm just enjoying the idea of living where there are four distinctly beautiful seasons.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

I seriously think Jon and Kate Plus 8 is one of the best shows on television - so glad you are into it now! Such a blast!

And I'm with you 100% on having four seasons. I would love, love, love to be there for a year or two and just live it. Hopefully one day! Or else - I'll just have to come visit you when you decide to take the plung!

: )