Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Lesson Before the Lesson

This morning, I walked into class and found three people in the room. I went to a seat and decided to break the silence. I asked our teacher how his week was. He got this smile on his face and said, "It was adventurous." I asked what made it adventurous when he told me that he had been downsized on Friday. I was shocked! This is an amazingly outgoing man with a beautiful wife and sweet children. All I could do was sit there and tell him that I was sorry. He looked me straight in the eye and smiled, saying that it was going to be just fine. Apparently he had been thinking about making some changes over the past few weeks and he viewed this as God opening the door to make those things possible. He told us some things he is doing to make sure his family is provided for as he waits on God. He really is looking above first and around second.

I was SO humbled by this man. How many people would call getting let go an adventure? How many people truly look past the immediate shock and try to see where God is leading them? I could not believe how faithful he genuinely was when I don't know if I would be. I've had my life thrown up into the air many times but I did not respond in his way at all. I've responded in panic and in tears. I've trusted in God by laying all of my brokenness before Him but I don't recall ever immediately rejoicing in the possibilities that lay before me.

That five minutes before class deeply impacted me more than the lesson that followed. Oh for a faith that first looks up in anticipation to God instead of into myself with fear.

No comments: