Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kenyan Way Update 1

"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - I Corinthians 9:26-27

I can honestly say that I have a new found appreciation for this image divinely given to us. Today I completed my second week of training with Kenyan Way. My body is in shock after years of being a BUM. At the same time, I feel better than I have felt in years! The idea of beating my body into submission is not longer just an idea - it is a daily practice. Each time I run farther or push harder, I think of these verses and am uplifted in spirit and body to do more. It is exhilarating! It has been an exciting two weeks!

First two weeks stats: First time trial in the mile is 10 minutes and forty seconds. For not having run in literally years, I was ecstatic! On Saturdays we do a long run. It is between 4 and ten miles depending on your level and pace. After only two weeks, I'm up to 5 miles on our long run! We are supposed to increase it one mile every week.

Here are a few other things to share:
  • I am more aware of and in tune with my body than ever before. When it talks, I listen because it is telling me something important!
  • Our bodies are more capable than we think they are. The body can be pushed farther and harder than we anticipate.
  • Hills are the hardest for me to run!
  • On the polar opposite, runner's high is amazing! No matter how tired I may have been, I feel great after I run.
  • There is nothing that feels better than stretching after a run. Nothing!
  • The right shoes make ALL of the difference.
  • Hydration, Hydration, Hydration! It's the key!
  • Runners are the nicest, most encouraging people I've met in quite a while.
  • Slow and steady really does win the race.
  • Its not about being the fastest, its about sticking with it and enduring. Finishing is the goal!

I'll let you know how things keep going!

2 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm glad you mentioned who you are training with, because I had been wondering. I'm finally getting back out to run now. I'll keep an eye out for you on Saturdays. The group I run with runs out of Memorial Park and we usually see some Kenyan Way people.
I totally agree with your list of things to share!

jenn said...

i'm so proud of you, girlie, keep up the hard work!!!!