Monday, May 07, 2007

Torn

The first blog from my weekend of cleaning is actually about the weekend. On Saturday, I went to the North East ISD job fair in San Antonio. Imagine 43 tables set up on a basketball court with about 300 people milling between them. Yep, it was crowded. Those with claustrophobia would have died. I got to 17 of the 43 elementary schools with an average wait time of 25 - 45 minutes between tables. To be perfectly honest, it was VERY discouraging. Just about every table said they didn't have openings yet but they might get more over the summer. Most hiring is done in July and August. This is not helpful to someone who only has until July 16 to get out of her current contract. Grrr.... I was reminded once again how political getting a teaching position is. It is all about who you know and how they can sell you. Going at it alone is very difficult.

As I waited in one of many lines, I got to thinking about my kids and my coworkers. I really love them all. The women are such hard workers with a true heart for their students. They are my mini-family. We are up on best practices and are held to a high standard. I am the teacher that I am today because of this district. I am challenged because they pull the best from me. Professionally, I am making a good name for myself here and am respected. There is room for growth and promotion for me here. My decision to move is not one related to work. It is an attempt to make a better life for me. Ms. LaMore is very happy where she is but Dana is not. While I am thankful for Southern Hills, I am looking for a church with a more active singles group and more opportunities to study and serve. My closest friends are moving in about a month so I am NOT looking forward to that. I am ready to make some settling moves in my life. I want to make a home somewhere and start planting roots. I'm ready for permanence but there are aspects of that life style not readily available for me in San Marcos.

I guess I find myself in a struggle. Leaving San Marcos CISD will be so much harder than I originally anticipated. Where is the line that separates Ms. LaMore from Dana? How can I make both happy when the decision to leave takes me from a GREAT district but staying means losing out on every other aspect of my life? I know that the answer to that question should be easy but for some reason, it's not.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I bet that your close friends who will be moving (whoever they may be) would love to have you move along with them. In fact, I know they would!

Cryssy said...

Finding a church like you describe can be very difficult to find. Wish the South Carolina schools were better as we have an exceptional church here. I pray God guides you where he wants you even if it is to stay where you are.