Saturday, May 12, 2007

Anticipation


There are three weeks left of school for me. The kids finish on June 1 and teacher work day is June 4. I have been so caught up in everything that still has to be finished that it seems 6 years away for me - until tonight.


Going a little stir crazy, I went to Target to pick something up. As I walked in, all impulse buying tendencies went into full alert. The very first aisle was filled with picnic accessories. This may not sound like a very big deal but ... sitting on the bottom row was something that I have always wanted but never bought - A picnic basket with gingham cloth lining. Not the fancy kind with plates, utensils, and other silly paraphernalia but just a simple, brown, square basket. It had a hinged lid and two handle that came up from the sides and to meet in the middle. There were two to chose from - red gingham or blue gingham. They weren't expensive ($15). As I looked up, I saw matching picnic blankets, reusable plastic food containers, and other things needed for a picnic. My $15 impulse buy quickly became a much more expensive purchase in my mind so I waited.


Now I know that you are thinking, "It's a picnic basket, big deal". To me it is. Not only is this something that I have wanted for a VERY long time but in that instant, it hit me. It isn't "Three weeks to dredge through before summer" but "Only three week until summer - WOO HOO!" I look at that picnic basket and I see a little bit of freedom. Time to go on a picnic and sit by the river reading a book. How wonderful! At the park in town, there is a bridge across the river to a little island. There are beautiful trees, ducks, and small "rapids" that I would love to just sit and enjoy. I don't have Darla, or Daniel, or Caleb's eye for photography but it would be fun to play a little bit down there. Jeff and Alissa were talking about a couple of places that I haven't seen yet but in three weeks, I can.


I can't wait!

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Jeff starts his new job on June 18th, so after that, Abbie and I want to go on a picnic to 5-mile dam with you! Gorgeous emerald green water, cold, fried chicken and great company...what more do you need!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh...You've got me wanting to run
downstairs, find my picnic basket and skip all the way to our nearby pond while the weather's great. Remember Research Park and your fantastic chicken pot pie?! :) I won't forget! Have a blast.

Jeff said...

why do we have to wait until AFTER i start my new job. I want to go, too! I feel like I'm being left out! [pouting]