Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 in Retrospect

I know that it is a couple of days early but I'm not sure if I'll get to blog again before 2007 barrels into our lives. Looking back, 2006 was quite a year. Just like every year before it, and I'm sure every year yet to come, it had its high and low points. One thing that I have come to realize about myself is that I have a very selective memory. I only remember the good. After all, life is what you make of it. I choose to see the beauty of it all.

This year can be wrapped up for me in one word: Love. That's what it has all boiled down to. I was so blessed this year because I got to experience love in just about every way possible. From shared laughter to shared tears, it was all wonderful. It was all better than I could have ever anticipated and words cannot capture the thankfulness I have for it and for you. It gave me strength and confidence. It made me feel like something bigger than myself. I cannot tell you what it means to me and how you have changed my life through your presence in it.

The other thing this year has impressed upon me is the gift of simplicity. This past week, I walked dogs with my sister. She let me tag along with her to work and "help" her out. I honestly didn't plan on doing that while I was there but after the first night, I really looked forward to it. The joy and love that the animals had at first sight was so simple but so comforting. I think that 2007 will see a pet very quickly! But there was more than walking dogs for a day or two. It was getting lost in a book, the vibrant colors of plants as they came into full bloom, the feel of the breeze in your hair. It was a million tiny little things that get overlooked because we are so busy that we forget to stop and notice them. 2006 was about those awarenesses.

This was a year in which, for the first time, I felt like an adult. I took great pride in my work and found joy in it. Even though I find myself as confused today as I have in the past, I am thankful for the professionalism that I now feel. Beyond work, I feel independence and responsible for who I am and what I do. I don't know when it happened, but I don't see myself as a kid anymore. Somewhere in the past 12 months, I grew up.

There are things that I hope for 2007. I hope to begin my master's work in the fall. I hope to be in a house that stands independent of what I cannot control. I hope to see Boston. I hope I continue to look for the small things and find your love along the way.

Happy New Year to you all. Count your blessings and get ready to be piled up with more.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I wish I had the ability to see the good in all things like you - whether the event was good or bad.

I'm excited about your goals! I hope things fall into place how you want. I must admit I am most excited about the possibility of a pet! It's amazing how something so small can change your home and mood! Glad you weren't too bored with the dog walking... I do believe Zoie and the boxers liked you best!

I love you and enjoyed our time together this past weekend. You are the best sister and friend a girl could have! It goes back to Jackie's blog - you are one of the few people a person can talk to and know they can be completely honest.

The Johnsons said...

I forgot the mention that I'm excited about your goal of a masters... Are you set on what you want to study?

Amy said...

From the moment you find out you are pregnant, you begin to dream dreams and plan the future of that child.Then they are born, and you work your heart out putting into place all those things you think will mold and shape that child into the adult you wish them to be.

Now, as I look at you and your sister, I see how very foolish it is to think one person knows what to do to form another's future... you both surpass any idea I had for the amazing women you've become. So many people and experiences have shaped you and made you who you are and given you your dreams. I end my year extremely greatful for the love you did experience from so many people.