Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's Been a Long Time Comin'

This is a long one but please take the time to read it. It’s a big one for me!

We all have times in our lives where we look back and think about the “what ifs” and “if I could have onlys”. We find comfort in telling ourselves that hind sight is 20/20. Other times, we are in a moment and we know exactly what is going on. We can put our finger on it and name it. For me, the past few months have been spent in the “what ifs” but yesterday, I had an epiphany.

I guess that it really started about a week ago (see the over-analyzing blog). I’ve been reassessing several things and letting go of even more. Then, this week, work was crazy but it didn’t seem to bother me as much. But the moment that I could put my finger on and name happened yesterday.

I had a great lunch with Mom and then went to see some incredible friends perform on the AMC show. They were phenomenal! I was watching them and realized that I didn’t want to be in the back with the camera. I wanted to be up there with them. I decided right then that as much as I like my job, it has to stop being my life. I gave up something that I want to do to work myself to death. That is dumb and must stop. I have to make time for what I want and that starts now.

Then later that evening, we went to the Chordsmen show and watched the chorus and Exclamation! sing on the Christmas show. It was the first time in about 5 months that I haven’t cried during (or after) a performance. The best part was that it didn’t even occur to me until after the show. Whenever I realized it, it was like a HUGE weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I just had to sit back and take a mental picture. Definitely an exact moment that I wanted to remember!

After the shows, we went to Earl Abel’s for dinner. I adore my friends but we are ruthless. Mess up once and you will never be allowed to forget about it. We spent a few hours picking on each other and just laughing. At one point, I looked around and felt at home. That is right where I needed to be - in the middle of people I love and that love me - laughing.

Today I feel still and quiet inside. Peace feels good!

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I am so glad you had wonderful moments in this pastweek and weekend. I told Gregg when we hung up that you sounded more "yourself" and that was good to hear. Your peace rubs off on me, you offer a sense of comfort I can get from few people. I love you, and love this blog!

Amy said...

Healing and comfort after such upheaval come to each of us in it's own time. I'm with your sister - you sound and look more like the old Dana than you have in quite a while. I'm glad the past is scarring over and letting you get back on track.
I'd have done it for you if I could; you know that, right?!