Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Fine Line I Walk

As much as I have gripped and complained about my job, I love it. I love the curriculum. I love the kids. I love my co-workers. I love how it pushes me to give even when I don't think there is anything else to give.

This year, I have been so intensely focused on work that I have come to a realization. I am walking the fine thin line between loving work and becoming a work-a-holic. Truth be told, I pour my heart and soul into this job. Just about every waking moment is spent working or thinking about work. I'll take breaks to see my friends a few times a week but I would estimate that the majority of my time is work driven. I think about work as soon as the alarm goes off. I work all day long and well into the night. I work while I watch TV and while I talk on the phone. This weekend the school is open. I will be there when it opens.

Last Friday, a co-worker and I had lunch together. She is engaged and she told me that she never thought she would chose work over being at home with a family. I see myself having that thought one day.

Is 26 too young to be so intense about work?

1 comment:

andrew said...

I am so glad that you have found something to do and love. It feels so good to find a vocation that just takes you over. It is also something to which you can give yourself over. You feel excited and invigorated every time you walk in the door.

But . . . Now from the part of me who's "been there, done that". I finally came to that point where I realized out much I was missing out on by working so much. It took about 10 years for me to come to the realization that work was not the be all and end all of my existance. To make a long story short, I finally noticed how much I was missing out on other activities I enjoyed and, most importantly, being w/ my wife and kids (yup..that includes you). I said 'no' to so many opportunities to spend time with you guys ... let's just sayi I would do thing sdifferently. I know you have interests outside of work. Just don't let it overtake you too much.

I love you.