Monday, May 18, 2009

On the Road Again....

I officially feel old.....

This week we are finishing up a campus wide project called Wolfe Road Trip: Where's Your Destination? We each picked a state or country and researched it as a class. On Thursday, we are doing a scavenger hunt around the school to help learn about all of these new places. We are also making passports so they can stamp where they have "been".

To prepare for the road trip idea, we spent our Social Studies lessons talking about how to prepare for a trip. After talking about packing our clothes, I asked what they would pack to do in the car while they were driving to their destination. Here is the list I got: Nintendo DS/PSP (handheld video games), cell phone, iPod/mp3 player, DVD player, iTouch, and laptop. WHAT!?!? I even tried to guide them to other activities and they couldn't think of what they could take. I told them that when I was their age, our car bag was filled with books, coloring books and crayons, activity books, paper and markers, a doll, and travel games. We played games (ABC, license plate searches, etc) and sang in the car. We looked out the windows and talked to each other. I asked them to raise their hand if they talked to each other in the car. NONE of them raised their hands! No wonder they talk so much at school! It is the only time they have someone to listen to them! Then, we talked about what their parents would need to drive them to their destination. Thankfully, we got gas, a map, and a cell phone out before they all started yelling GPS, GPS, GPS!! I told them that they were all spoiled.....

What a sad eye opener!

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

What a great and fun idea for the kids! I bet they loved it!