Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Trade-Offs

Thanks to everyone who asked questions. I'll get back to you on the next post. As it usually happens, as soon as I say I don't have anything to share, something comes to me. So.... here are some trade-offs that I have learned from my recent move:

1. Getting rid of an obsene amount of "stuff". The trade off? - Having a better understanding of not only how I view material possessions but what could have been a better use for that money. Lesson learned.

2. Going through each photo and document in my home page by page and picture by picture. Took LOTS of time. The trade off? - Remebering the good and purging the things that weren't so important after all. That and being thankful my bro-in-law has an awesome shredder at work because I burned mine out. Note to everyone reading - shred your stuff immediately!

3. Watching everything I own that wasn't sold, donated, or trashed go into tubs. The trade-off? Simplicity. Enough said.

4. No longer having my own place to live. The trade off? - Getting the best "roommates" ever for a whole month. And already missing them after 36 hours away.

5. Sharing a room with a toddler for a month. The trade off? - Greeting each day hearing, "Aunt D! Want out - Hold you!" Translation? The cutest little boy ever wanting to be scooped up and played with. Yes, please!

6. Being surrounded by toys everywhere you go. The trade off? Watching my niece's imagination come alive. She's so pretty! Don't believe me? Click here.

7. Finishing the biggest physical part of this transition. The trade off? Enjoying time with everyone you love the most instead of spending hours in the warehouse of an apartment. Freedom!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Love, love, love the perspective you have seen through this process!! And, I love, love, love you@@

Bekah Allen said...

Ohh, I love reading this! All of mine and Jace's possessions basically fit into 4 suitcases for two years of our lives, and it was deeply satisfying.

I'm so excited you're making this big move Dana! God is going to teach you even more about yourself (and Him) along the way. I can't wait to read about it :)