Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Road to Egypt - The Rubber Meets the Road

As summer break began, I was anticipating many things about the first two weeks of summer. I usually set those two weeks aside for selfishness, laziness, and getting caught up on sleep/rest. Then I get productive with everything I don't have time to do during the year. I was having a hard time relaxing and letting go of my anxiety about the school year I had just finished and the pressure of the one to come. To help with, I decided to have lunch with a girl I know. She has been blessed with a job but she too struggles with not being in the right place for her.

As we sat in a very crowded Panera Bread, I remember talking to her about how she manages to keep working in a position that didn't seem to fit. We didn't talk about it too long but listened patiently as I shared my concerns and was encouraging when I shared my goal of applying to work overseas in a year or two.

The next day, my grandmother fell and broke her hip. We spent the next few days in the hospital with her and had a spontaneous weekend with the parents. Week one was gone without the selfishness, laziness, and getting caught up on sleep/rest.

During that week, I was listening to a bible study about believing that God has been with us all along. There was a point that rooted itself in my mind and I couldn't shake it off. It said that sometimes we are wisest to hurry over when God calls us. We should be prayerful but pray as we take steps, not just sit and pray. Move and act on it. I was really thinking about Thailand and wondering if I had made the right decision. The decision to stay put never totally settled for me but I knew Thailand was wrong. I wasn't sure what was going on.

Week two of summer began and things started off the way I was hoping it would. I knew I was moving from my bee-infested apartment and was so excited to find a place that was amazing! The week was going great.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up and got starting with my morning. At about 10:30, my phone beeped that I had an email. I hoped up the laptop and the following facebook message was sitting in my inbox from my friend, Jen Cates:

"So... we have to open another KG class for next year. I'm think he hasn't hired anyone yet, but before I said anything to the director, I thought I'd ask if you were interested...? It could be 1st if a 1st gd teacher moves down instead."

I sat and stared at the screen on and off all morning. That quote from the bible study immediately came to mind when I read it. I know why it took me hours to get back to her. I had a knowing. I knew that if I put it out there, I would get this job. I don't know how I knew but I did. So I prayed and did something that is very difficult for me. I took the first step without thinking eight steps down the road.

That afternoon, I went over to Erin's house to "use her computer". Once the kids were taking naps, we sat down and I told her what happened. She listened and was very encouraging. When Gregg came home and the kids went to bed, I let him in on the news. I wrote my resume and off it went. My Johnson family were so encouraging and prayerful for me. My sister praying for my heart (thankful for a female heart) and my brother-in-law praying for adventure (thankful for a male heart). It was/is the best of both worlds. I swore them to secrecy until my mind was made up.

Over the next week, Jen was amazing to answer my questions that I sent her daily. I have never been overseas but here I was thinking about a HUGE move. She was patient and never made me feel like I had a silly question. As the answers came, so did an unexplainable peace. By the time I talked to the director, I had made a decision. He offered me the job and gave me until the end of the week to get back to him. It was time to tell the folks.

Erin and the kids went with me to surprise them in Pleasanton. I was nervous and to ease my jitters, Erin and I made up silly excuses for just showing up. We went with the ice cream dinner after church. They played along when we got there for as long as we did. After dinner, the kids were content and happily playing in the living room. The four original LaMores sat at our breakfast table where we had eaten nearly every dinner together growing up. I shared my news with the folks and over the next 30 minutes they listened, not one interruption or question. When I was finished, my dad stood up and said, "That sounds cool, Dana." Mom just shook her head yes.

I was shocked. No, I was S.H.O.C.K.E.D. Not one protest or question. The Lord had provided the words that they needed to hear. That night there were some tears but more from distance and love than anything else. Vacation plans immediately began because we all knew a vacation was a must.

The next morning we loaded up and drove back to Houston. Mom and Dad would follow the next day for a belated Father's Day celebration. We got back around lunch time and I went up to visit the grandparents. I told them what was happening and Grandma was so excited - clear as a bell as she shared about how much she loved traveling and learning new cultures. Grandpa was shocked but very sweet about it.

That night, I got to Metro extremely late due to dinner with Grandpa. Thankfully, that meant I didn't have to wait log to tell my closest friends. They knew of the possibility but they didn't know my final decision.

The next day was Friday. I officially accepted the position to teach Kindergarten in Cairo, Egypt for the next two years. I felt better that the decision was made and the director knew. God had overwhelmed me with peace, excitement, and more support than I knew what to do with.

But He wasn't done yet......

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm loving reading this series! You're so much more thoughtful than I was when I decided.