Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Road to Egypt - The Rearview Mirror

Just as in every time God does a mighty work in my life, I can alway look back and see how He has been preparing me for quite some time. The way to Cairo is no different.

This past year at school was a difficult one. From the beginning of the school year, it held its frustrations and trials. By the time I went to Colorado the first weekend in October, I was already burnt out. Throughout the year, I became increasingly bothered by the way that public education was turning. As we began looking towards next year, I did not have the same anticipation of a fresh start that I usually had. I felt dread, especially with all of the changes due to budget cuts.

In the midst of the ever growing frustration and discouragement, a few things began to happen. While I was in Colorado (Sept 30 - Oct 2), one of the sessions really hit close to my heart. The last session focused on the need to be a part of the larger story. We spent time talking about the fact that wherever we go, the Kingdom of God goes with us and He lives His life through us. One of my favorite quotes from that morning was to the effect that even the smallest person can change the course of the future. At that moment, I knew that there was a big change coming in my future. I didn't know what or when. I started asking my small group to pray that whenever that time came, I would be prepared to follow God without fear or hesitation, no matter what it looked like.

Fast forward to the spring. I was growing increasingly discouraged and frustrated with the state of education. I didn't understand it because my school was/is the best I have ever worked in: amazing adminstrators, wonderful coworkers, sweet children, and an overall campus of diversity and respect. However, some policies and expectations are a lot to handle. I felt the urging to do the bible study "Believing God". It was a bible study that pushed me to look at my level of faith and the realities of God's character and activity. Each lesson addressed very specific things going on in my life almost day by day. I've never had a study that pushed application like this one did.

Another study that I was involved in was my Sunday Bible Study, Roots. We were spending time in the book of Ezra talking about how we learn from history and how we react to the world around us. How would God have us relate to our world in a way that reflects Him?

In the middle of the study, the first hint of what was in store came my way. I was blocked into a parking spot when a woman I hadn't spoken to in quite a while called me. Her brother is a director of a school in Thailand and he was in the States recruiting teachers for the next session. I wasn't really feeling it but I thought I would see what happened. We kept missing each other and never touched base. Even though it wasn't to be, it really got my mind going. I had some reservations in working there. I decided that if I were to ever work overseas, I wanted to work with native students - not Americans living overseas. I decided that I didn't want to be responsible for raising my own support (another post for another day).

As the spring semester went on, things at work got more and more tense as budget cuts were being made. As stressful as it was, I was blessed with favor by my principal. I ended up requesting a position change and he granted it. I felt incredibly blessed. The next year was going to be everything I was asking for.

Even through there was favor there, I still didn't have peace. I was feeling the need to teach something more than just towards a standardized test. I was tired of being stretched too thin to be more than I was physically and mentally able to be. I was exhausted every single day. I couldn't shake Thailand. I didn't regret not going. I was thinking about the need in other countries for more than just academics. There was a need for learning that would bring about change. Just a couple of weeks before school let out, I had dinner with some of my favorite friends. As we waited for our dinner to arrive, I let the girls know that I felt that I was being called to teach overseas in a year or two. They were amazingly supportive.

Three days later, my mom randomly asked me if I have ever considered teaching internationally. Completely out of the blue. I almost swerved into another lane.

The last week of the school year came. It was sweet with the kids but crazy in every other way. On our work day, I attended a meeting about the next year's schedule, the lack of support teachers, and the highest standards I've ever worked under. I was so overwhelmed, all I wanted to do was cry. It was only by the grace of God that I left that meeting without quitting.

I walked out that day so excited about a summer of no plans. There would be time to relax, step away, and not think about anything important for at least two months. That was June 3.

1 comment:

Lynn Tyger said...

What!? You're leaving this at June 3rd?! Can't wait to read the rest of your calling process. Its really interesting to read about your experience with the education system too. God bless you Dana as you prepare to go! Please keep sharing.