Sunday, January 02, 2011

Only an Hour and a Half?

A few weeks ago, our minister delivered a message about scripture - where it came from and its importance. You can hear the full message HERE. In it, he shared a statistic that really has stuck with me. At the adult average reading rate, it takes 70 hours to read the entire Bible. It only takes 18 hours to read the entire New Testament. That is an hour and a half a month. What!? That is all? I am sad to admit that I did not read the entire New Testament last year (let alone the whole Bible). However, I often watched more that an hour and a half of TV a day or read an entire novel in a day. I was (and continue to be) fully convicted.

At the end of 2011, I don't want to make the same confession. This year, I am going to go through the entire bible using a chronological plan. As I have glanced at it, it only ends up being about 2-5 chapters a day. That is all! So far, I'm please to tell you that I am on track and have kept up with the daily reading. :) I would love to hear from you now and then to keep me accountable. If you would like to join me, feel free to look HERE at the schedule.

Let's not waste our time this year. It only takes a few minutes a day. Let's let the scriptures master us in 2011.

2 comments:

Cryssy said...

I started a chronological reading plan last May and it is really cool! I love it. I have YouVersion on my Droid and can take it EVERYWHERE! Love it. Love it! Good luck!

Mindi Tipps said...

Thank you for sharing this. I too have felt ashamed of my self for not having read the whole Bible. I'll try to keep you accountable every now and then if you'll do the same for me!