Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back Where I Come From

This week, part of our bible study homework had us reflect on our childhood. I've been thinking about things I remember and I thought I would share a few memories. Thanks for walking down memory lane with me:

- We always ate dinner together at the table. Every night. Not many people can say that but we would wait until everyone was home together before sitting down at the table to eat. However, every once in a while, my very wise parents would spread a round table cloth on the floor of the living room and we could eat dinner while we watched a movie. It was like an indoor picnic. Who can blame them? Do you want primary and elementary aged kids eating on your living room carpet?

- For years, part of our bedtime routine was a bedtime story. Usually Mom did the reading and one of us would pick the book. For a short time, Dad read to us. We took turns with whose bed we would read in but each night, Dad read us a chapter of Old Mother West Wind. I don't remember much about the book but I remember loving Dad reading to us before bed.

- After my first year of camp, my family picked me up and we headed from to Texas Hill Country to the Rocky Mountains. We drove the whole way. To pass the time, we had books, games, colors, walkmans, and all sorts of other distractions. What did we do? We sang camp songs the WHOLE. WAY. THERE. AND. BACK. My poor father.....

- One time, the city came out to drain the fire hydrant on our street. They opened it up and that water came gushing out. Erin, Casey, and I ran inside to tell Mom and next thing we know, Mom is snapping pictures of us playing in the fire hydrant. Probably not the most sanitary but so much fun!

- My whole life, my grandparents have slept in different beds. Including when they came to visit us. I loved it. My parents, bless their hearts, would either have to give up walk ways in their bedroom or their entire closet to make pads for Erin and I to sleep on. The closet was the best.

- Many summers when we were little, Mom would pull the card table out and we would put together a huge puzzle while we watched movies. For days, we would work on that thing until we finished it.

- The year we got a Nintendo for Christmas, I was pretty excited. Shortly after the ground rules for the game were laid, we dove in. Later that night, I woke up to a quiet house but a glow coming from the living room. I peeked around the corner and there say Mom, taking on the fireball spitting Venus Fly Traps.

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

LOVED this! I might just have to do a post of my own. I'm in a blogging rut and needed some inspiration. Or at least someone to parrot. Thanks. :)

Amy said...

Such good memories, Dana!! I'd add the fire Papaw built in the fireplace that had flames shooting out the chimney and the neighbors calling to check on us, and the "Scary Bear" story.

And I loved doing those puzzles, but my back hurt for days after working over them!! Wouldn't trade that for anything.

And, yes - Dana's mom loved Ninetendo!!

Mindi Tipps said...

I'm thankful that you had a home to make good memories in! I would have loved to have seen you as a little girl... I picture a quiet, gentle, and fun-spirited little Dana. Am I anywhere close? :)

The Johnsons said...

Dana, Mindi apparently hasn't watched any birthday party home videos! Ha! J/K