Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Year Later

What a year it has been. A year ago, I decided to visit Houston's First Baptist Church just to check it out. A co-worker recommended a class and it was a perfect fit. After six months of juggling two bodies of believers, I made the decision to worship at First. Making the decision to make this move has been one of the most difficult, beautiful blessings of my life.

In the time being there, I have learned so many lessons so far. I thought I would briefly share the things that I have learned and am continuing to learn. Here is what the Lord can do in a year:

- Learning the love of the Lord for me more deeply
- Learning the love of the Lord for others more deeply
- Learning freedom in both of those loves
- Seeing unity in the body of Christ across denominational lines
- A deep respect and appreciation for a strong foundation in Christ
- The difficulty of trust it takes to let someone follow where the Lord is leading them
- Learning to trust the Lord in all things
- The need for community
- The power of prayer
- The understanding of scripture afresh

Each of these lessons are significant on their own. Together, it changes your life and how you are interact/love others. I can't wait to see how the process of learning these things plays out over the days to come. Today, I am so thankful for what has past and anticipate with eagerness the days to come.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amazing what God can do in a year! I'm so glad you've found a community of people who encourage and bless you.

The Johnsons said...

I'm with Jennifer! I was so impressed by HFBC's friendliness today. I've loved watching you be challenged and grow this year. Your love for God and how you seek Him amazes me daily. I love you.

Alissa said...

I had no idea that you were at 1st Baptist...I admire you for your courage to break out of the COC mold and find God in your everyday life, no matter in what building He might be waiting for you. Your strength gives me strength. Love you and miss you!