Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rodeo 2010

In learning growing intimacy with God, there are certain verses that I think we often use as token verses. One that comes to mind is the one that talks about how he knows the number of hairs on our head. Yes, it is neat to know that when I brush my hair, God know how many came out and are now on my bathroom floor. However, to be honest, I find the fact that he knows my unspoken inner places and unrealized needs better than I do is what blows me away. He is the Sovereign Lord of all I am and all I need. This weekend is yet another example of just how he shows up as I need him.

Last Wednesday, I was driving back to Grandpa's house fighting the age old battle of trying not to slip into a pity party. I just wanted to go home and I was driving back into an emotionally draining situation. I was trying in vain to psych myself up for the evening when my phone rang. A friend of mine, Lisa, called me to invite me out for a girls night. A student had given her a Rodeo package that included a suite and tickets to the rodeo for four people for Friday night. I think I may have startled her with the enthusiasm of my acceptance. It was the umph I needed to get me through the rest of the week.

Friday afternoon, we met up and trudged our way through Houston traffic. As we were checking in, we discovered that a mistake was made and there were no tickets for the evening's rodeo. After much ado, we were given (and accepted) the offer for an additional night at the hotel (room rate = $589 per night and we got it for FREE both nights) and tickets for the next day. Once everything was settled, we decided that as nice as the room was, we would split the rodeo into two days. So we were off to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo for the evening. We went to see the quilt and art competitions, animals, vendors, tractors, walked the carnival, had our first experience on the Light Rail, and ended up at The Chocolate Bar (not really a bar but one of the best dessert places I've ever been to). Of course, there was no early to bed with four girls staying in a hotel suite together. Overall, such a fun night! Since there was no rush to check out in the morning, we indulged in sleeping in, breakfast in the hotel restaurant (again, part of the package), and visiting/reading/napping. We got dressed up again and made our way back to the grounds and the rodeo/concert. After the shows, we walked around a bit more and made our way to get steaks (in honor of the rodeo). Then, of course, back to the hotel to stay up too late talking. We got up this morning, had breakfast, and headed to church.

Now, I know that most people would not look at a girls weekend to the rodeo as a sign of a Sovereign God but I guess I'm not most people. I really wanted to go to the rodeo but because of how things turned out, I knew it would have to wait until 2011. God provided. I knew that I was at my breaking point emotionally and just needed an escape. God provided. We took Lisa's car so I was completely unable to feel guilty for not being elsewhere. Mom and Dad came in to stay with Grandpa so I did not have to worry about him. God's provision. Instead of a night of fun, God provided a whole weekend of fun and rest. He provided safety as we walked around. He made a financially impossible impulse stay-cation pretty much free. He very sweetly and powerfully met me each morning in my quiet time.

So yes, I can say with full assurance that God in Sovereign - even at the Rodeo.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

How wonderful, Dana! He is a Sovereign God and takes care of us intimately!

The Johnsons said...

You are so right! I love that you look for Him and find Him in all aspects of your life. And I'm thankful for your well deserved weekend away! No one deserved it more than you! :)

Amy said...

Amen, Erin!

Jackie said...

you KNOW I see God in rodeos!! and horse hairs, and dog breath... thanks for the glimpse into the fact that you and I have another thing in common that I was unaware of.