Friday, March 19, 2010

The Book Thief

One of my favorite things about summer vacation is the opportunity to read. For the past few summers, I have chosen a series of books and have read through the entire set. I also loving going to Barnes and Noble to peruse the summer reading tables for the high school students. There are usually a few classics that I haven't read or a new on that catches my eye. Two summers ago, I noticed a book called "The Book Thief" with a picture of a domino chain on the cover of it. I read the back, was intrigued, and brought it home. I tried to start it but could not get into it. Fast forward to a month ago and I decide to take it off of the book shelf and give it another go. It is the story of a young German girl and those around her living in Nazi Germany. It is about how books help her survive the war and find the beauty in the midst of despair.

It has been a very long time since I have read a book that has so incredibly taken my breath away. This is it. This is the book that I have - and will continue to - recommend to every person that I meet. On the cover is a line from a review from The New York Times that says, "Brilliant and hugely ambitious....It's the kind of book that can be life changing." At the time, I thought that was WAY overly stated but tonight, as I get ready to put it on the shelf, I already miss the characters. My mom tells me that the first time I watched the movie Annie, I cried because it was over. I've always thought that was silly but tonight, I wipe my tears because there is not a next page. It is devastatingly beautiful in a way that only a book can be. It is taking everything in me to not immediately begin reading it again. It is the most beautiful example of the artistry of words that I have ever read. Below is a four minute interview with the author, Markus Zusak. Watch it and then GO READ THIS BOOK!


No comments: