Sunday, June 14, 2009

Helpful Hint

On Tuesday, here was my to do list: pack, take out the garbage, meeting, library, fill up with gas, get new tires, and get to Pleasanton in time for dinner. Mission accomplished - except for taking out the trash. So when I got back yesterday, just imagine what I walked in to smell. GROSS! In my hurry to get the smell out of the apartment, I forgot that there was a watermelon rind in the bottom of the can. I yanked the lid off and out flew about 25 fruit flies - everywhere! Again, GROSS!! Also, they multiply faster than rabbits so it has been annoying to say the least. I looked up how to get rid of them. Did you know that spraying them with windex 3-4 times kills them? It works - I know because I have been on a shoot out with the magic blue liquid. So far, I'm winning but also getting high on windex. Time for a break.....

So just a warning - don't forget to take out the garbage with you leave home. :)

5 comments:

The Johnsons said...

You are right - Gross. At least you're winning. And if they ever come out with a My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie again, be sure and write and director to tell the dad another use for Windex.

Mindi Tipps said...

Oh no! I really detest those fruit flies! They're bad here in Austin and Jeff and I had to resort to keeping all of our fruit sealed in the fridge at all times. Any peels had to go outside immediately. Glad you're winning...take a few down for us!

*Lin* said...

LoL :) youre too cute. see you this weekend??

jenn said...

the only thing we left in the trash can was kitty litter, and it wasn't bad at all, but we weren't gonae all week either! hope to see you more than 5 seconds this weekend! love you

Dana said...

Mindi - Even better than windex is to put an apple slice in a baggie and zip it shut. Then use a fork to carefull poke holes in one side of the baggie (very small) and leave it one the counter. The fruit flies can get in and not out so you can kill them in the baggie without getting your hands yucky. VERY effective, little work for you, and no chemicals!!