Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Attached

Tomorrow is my last day of training for a month. HALLELUJAH! It has been a month of trainings that I can actually use and am looking forward to that. The past six days have been a crash course in strategies gears towards helping second language learners. We got the theory for the first two days and then the last four have been observing a class using these strategies and then writing a unit in the afternoon.

During our time in the classroom, we have been silent observers. We sit against the wall and watch the class of 17 1st - 3rd graders go through a unit. Today I was caught off guard by how easily it has been to get attached to a couple of these kids. At one point, it took everything I had not to go get a little girl from Pakistan and pull her onto my lap. Seriously adorable and so shy due to know having much English. I don't know when it happened. She and a couple of others are just SO sweet.

While I was thinking on this, I got to thinking over relationships in the past - friendships, crushes, mentors, etc. The same thing was true in several cases. I find myself attached to people rather quickly. Most took longer than three days, thankfully. I don't know what it means that I get attached to people so quickly. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it just how it is? Yes, I think that is it - that's just how it is. Maybe I need to learn to hold people more at arm's length. Maybe I need to just embrace how I'm wired. Who knows?

Just an observation on a Wednesday....

1 comment:

Amy said...

In many ways, you are so like your Father, but this one is so like me! I fall hard and fast, be it boyfriends, students, friends; not a bad thing, I think!