Sunday, April 29, 2007

I Go To The Rock

Friday night, a few of us went camping at Enchanted Rock. It was a really good time. To say that we roughed it would be a joke. Tent, inflated air mattresses, two ice chests and a tub filled with food, and bathrooms (with showers) less that two minutes down the path. The girls had a tent spot reserved right by the rock. A couple of us went up and sat on it at various points. Good food, good friends, good times. The next day, we met up with the church and went hiking. Dad and I took the Loop Trail around the park and had some good father/daughter time before meeting up with everyone else.

While camping and walking, I realized a couple of things:
  • When we least expect it, we can see what we have learned from our parents. Dad and I were going along and we came to a decline. Without even thinking about it, we were taking smaller, in step strides moving heel-toe all the way down. In that moment, I had a flash back to being about eight and Dad stopping Erin and I from running down the hill at full speed. He slowed us down and taught us how to take our time and go carefully to avoid getting hurt. As I remembered that moment, I had to laugh to myself. Funny how a simple moment can teach such a big lesson. At 27 years old and faced with obstacles of all kinds, I slow down and take one careful step at a time. No full force, trip yourself over your feet running. Just heel-toe all the way down to safety. Just like Dad.
  • I find myself in peace with God's creation. After we made it up the steepest incline, Dad and I stopped to catch our breath. As I turned around, I saw a sea of green before me. Countless shades faded in and out of each other as tree branches tangled and interwove. We saw countless different wildflowers, lizards, birds, and different plants. We found a spot where the water was running out of the rock and between smaller rocks. The night before, I caught myself staring at the trees around our spot. They were beautiful. The strong granite around us was quite a majestic sight. I think it was the most still I have been in weeks. Seeing the brilliance of the world around me made me feel connected to creation and the one who set it into place. Everything was untouched and just as God intended it to be. As much as I love the things of the city, I want that all of the time. Some land to live on with a comfortable house, a nice back porch to sit on, and a sunset to take my breath away.

1 comment:

Jaci said...

two post in a row about enchanted rock. guess jarred will have to take me there next time we are there. I know what you mean about when we least expect it we can can see what we have learned from our parents. I have been doing a lot of that lately. Especially since having kids and knowing what my mom went through. Its amazing how all the sudden it just hits you. now I know why she always said, you'll thank me when you're older.