Friday, April 13, 2012

Yesterday

Earlier this spring, I submitted my application for grad school. I have very mixed feelings about getting in. On one hand, this is my ninth year teaching and a change would be nice. I've even seriously considered things outside of the world of education. I feel like getting in to this program would keep me in education quite a bit longer - especially due to the investment of it. I'm not 100% sure that is what I want. However, if I am in education, this is the route I would want my career to take. I know my strengths and weaknesses and this path would be an excellent fit. I would enjoy it immensely. I'm not spending too much time thinking about it. If I get it, I'll go through that door. If I don't, I can look forward to days like today.

Erin often asks me about work because apparently I don't talk about it much. I'll be honest, after nine years, it becomes pretty routine. Even in another culture, kids are kids. Then you have a day like yesterday and it reminds me why I chose to teach.

Yesterday was the best day we've had all year long. I was a GREAT DAY! One of those that even now I look back on and smile. I taught like I used to teach and realized how much I've missed it. Trying new things, adjusting to a new culture, and having extra hands made me put some things on the back burner. Shame on me! Yesterday, we were so engaged with our learning and with each other. We learned and laughed all day. We workshopped ourselves to death and loved every moment of it. It was a day when they actually raised their hands to share their thinking but you could literally see the energy and excitement of what they were about to share in their eyes and buzzing bodies. They were so good they earned "Stinky Feet". For those of you that don't work with little kids, that is shoes off time. Free reward that unfortunately does smell up the room but they LOVE.

While the pictures I have to share are not great, I'm OK with that today. The best parts of the day could not be captured by a camera. They came in the form of begging to be read to from our new read aloud. They were the excited interactions when they got to snort like Mercy Watson or yell like a cowboy. They were in conversations that you just can't make happen. They were in the moments with they FINALLY problem solved instead of interrupting each other. However, here are some shots of the day:

This is the writing notebook of a boy who came in knowing no letters or letter sounds and even less English. His growth has been s.l.o.w. This description says "apple tree big". While it still has a long way to go, in our conference he showed me three letters for three sounds of big and the beginning and ending sounds of tree. He very proudly pointed to the space in his words and said "A meatball space!" with the biggest smile on his face. I'll take it!

In math, we are measuring with nonstandard units. One of their activities was to use basketball player footprints and kid footprints to measure things around the room. They LOVED it! I had a hard time getting focused photos because they were so involved and flying around the room with their feet.

This little guy in the red jacket was so excited after he recorded his first two measurements. He interrupted our group and said this, "Excuse me Ms. Dana. I'm sorry to interrupt but look! I don't think I have to measure everything. Two kids feet is about the same as a basketball player foot. (Holds up footprints to show me.) If I measure with basketball player feet and then count them by two, I know what the kid feet will be!" I love this kid! I mean, how could you not! I told him to test his theory and come report back. His response, "Yep! I was right! My brain is so smart!" Yes it is, lovebug. Yes it is!

Secret to full engagement - make it look like Dr. Seuss! I mean, measuring with wooden block = boring. Measuring Cat in the Hat, Red Fish Blue Fish, and Thing 1 with blocks = so much fun!

My favorite part of teaching science is introducing new science tools. With five year old, you have to let them play with it before they work with it. When they play with hand lenses, they figure out that you can do this:

Then you can see how the blue water traveled up the celery stalk to the leaves.
Nothing innovative and new. Just me doing my thing and them doing theirs. When they are excited about their learning, it doesn't have to be earth shattering activites. When they are excited, they will learn. That is my job - to get them excited and get out of their way. It worked for the day and I loved every moment of it! If grad school doesn't happen, I'm happy in my little room with my sweet kids enjoying each other and learning.

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

You're such a great teacher!

Praying for grad school and God's will with your life. :)