Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Favorite Gift

A year and ten months ago, I visited Houston's First Baptist Church for the first time. I remember dragging my feet to go because I was scared - Not because I was concerned about not liking it or not knowing anyone but because I knew that I would love it. What would that mean? What choices would I have to make and how would they be received? What would my response to others be? More specifically, what would my response be to my family? I knew it would be hard but I went. I loved it, like I knew I would. Telling the family was scary and it has definitely been a growing process for us all. When I first told Mom and Dad, I told them that I would love for them to come visit with me but I wasn't going to pressure and bug them about coming. It was an open invitation for any time they were here. I never asked again but hoped and prayed for the day I would be able to share where I am now. Friday night, it happened.

Christmas Eve came filled with visiting, playing, and cooking. However, at 5:00, there we sat in the in Worship Center: Gregg, Erin, Liz, Mom, Dad, Bladen, and me. I felt like it was already Christmas morning and I was five years old again. We were sitting in this place that has grown to mean so much to me. On stage were the worship leaders that I worship with every week. We heard a message by a minister that the Lord uses in my life weekly. All around us were the body of believers that walk out this life together. All things and people that I have grown to love. On that night, I sat surrounded by all of these familiar things side-by-side with those I love most. It was a beautiful service - scripture intertwined with song only briefly paused by a wonderful reminder of what our response to Christmas should be. The kids did great. We stopped. We sang. We focused. We worshipped. We. We. We. All shared with my family. They got to experience a taste of this place I love. I got to share this part of my life with them. I got to show them the heart of where I worship. It was sweet.

Of everything that I received this Christmas, that service together was the best gift I was given. There are a lot of things that I have been hoping for in life. Not many of them have come to be yet but God was sweet to fulfill this greatest hope this Christmas. A nearly two year prayer answered - my family together at HFBC. Just once was all that was needed. They came because they love me. They came to see this part of my life. They came.

Hope fulfilled and prayer answered.

The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it. - I Thessalonians 5:24

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a WONDERFUL gift!!

Amy said...

It was a wonderful evening, with all of us there.

Thank you for being so patient with us... you are so right; we do love you so!

The Johnsons said...

You know I loved it and am so glad we were all together! :)

Mindi Tipps said...

When I heard that particular evening was coming up I started praying. Glad it was a positive time for you all!