Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Stolen

I have come to the conclusion that different people are more sensitive to the urgings of the Spirit at certain times more than others. There is no telling why we are more receptive in certain times or situations but there you go. For me, I have noticed that I am more open to the Spirit very first thing in the morning or when driving in my car. Yesterday was no exception.

As my alarm clock went off, my mind was immediately singing the chorus of one of my favorite songs. The song, Stolen by Dashboard Confessional, has a very simple, two line chorus:

You have stolen my heart,
You have stolen my heart.

While the song has nothing to do with God, I immediately knew that this was not just a song looping through my head. It was my soul singing a love song to God, even as I was coming from sleep to waking up. Before my hand could find the alarm clock, I knew. After nearly 30 years, I have finally allowed myself to completely lose myself to my Father. He has stolen my heart. I adore Him with all that is in me and my heart is His. He has swept me off my feet and it doesn't look like He will be putting my down anytime soon. My breath is taken away.

Yesterday was not a good day. It wasn't the worst day ever but it was difficult. However, throughout the day, my spirit would sing out:

You have stolen my heart,
You have stolen my heart.

as if to remind me that no matter the difficulties of the day, my heart is forever lost to Him. It was beautiful. But it didn't stop there.

After outreach last night, I decided to listen to this song on the way home. As I drove along I-10, I popped the cd in and as the chorus began to play for the first time, a still, small voice whispered love as I have never heard it before. It wasn't just my heart that has been stolen by Him.......

He feels the same way about me.

Why, I will never know, but it is true. He calls me the apple of His eye, His chosen one, beloved. He adores me. He has fought for me and has given me abundant life. He looks at me and His breath is taken away. He went so far as to die for me and eagerly waits until we are together. I never have been and I never will be so well loved.

It wasn't just a song stuck in my head. It wasn't just my spirit singing a love song to my God. It was more. It was a song He sang over me. We sang it to each other. We sang it all night. We sang it all day today. I have a feeling we will be singing it for a very long time...

You have stolen my heart,
You have stolen my heart.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful, Dana. Just beautiful. Isn't it such a wonderful place to be? Love you, girl.