Monday, January 18, 2010

The Responsibility of Knowing

About a year and a half ago, my dear friends, the Sheasbys, went to Swaziland on a scouting trip in preparation for a long term mission commitment. When they returned, Esme shared with me about what they saw there in terms of children orphaned my AIDS. Her response that has stayed with me was, "After seeing and hearing all that I have seen and heard, what do I go back? There are only two options: Ignore and go on as if nothing has changed or take a stand. How is that even a choice?"

Over the weekend, Erin and I were talking about some different issues. As we talked, we noticed how people would rather say ignorant than know what is going on. As we discussed it, we came to the conclusion that once someone knows more, they have to choose to change or to purposefully continue as they always have been, ignoring realities. How is that even a choice?

Over the past 27 hours, I have seen and heard things that I was ignorant to before. Statistics, histories, and politics I have chosen to ignore came crashing in. Now I have to ask, "What do I do with this?" If I know and ignore, I allow lives to be taken and destroyed. If I choose to become aware and take an active role, things change. How is that even a choice?

I am choosing not to share what I learned during the rally and march today because here is the lessons that I have learned: If you know, you really don't have a choice. You have a responsibility to take action. Choosing to stay silent or to ignore is a form of enabling. Once you know, you are responsible. If you want to know, I would love to share. If not, I understand completely. Until then, pray. Pray hard!

No comments: