Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Our Deepest Fear

I was in a PLC Summit today and I heard this quote. I found it very empowering and wanted to share it with you. I actually only heard a part of it but I found the rest online. It is by a woman named Marianne Williamson. What do you think?

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

2 comments:

andrew said...

I agree. If we allow ourselves to be open, others will see us as we are. We are not perfect but only those who strive to be perfect. Our light shines so that we are seen and not hidden. Some may shine brighter than others and maybe in a different way but we are all given a light to shine. We all have God given talents and we need to use them. Maybe by shining we can encourage others to shine.

Clayton Scott said...

I don't agree with this line of thinking. I don't think anyone is afraid of being great. I do believe however that many people are capable of much more than they believe. But I feel like people don't live up to their full potential for a few reasons.

The first of which, is that it takes a lot of work in the face of a lot of adversity in order to attain such levels of success.

The second is that our society has become one in which people laugh off the biggest of dreams and write them off as unattainable. Because of this, they also write off their own dreams, because they seem laughable and unattainable as well.

But neither of which is because they fear greatness.