Friday, July 28, 2006

Babies

Yesterday, I spent a large portion of my afternoon in Target buying wedding and baby gifts for friends. I must admit, the wedding gift was pretty easy but then came the baby gift. OH MY WORD! I was so far out of my comfort zone it wasn’t even funny. As I stood surrounded by the few things that looked familiar and the massive quantities that did not, I had to laugh. Put me in a teacher’s supply store, Barnes and Noble, or a variety of clothing stores and I will be fine. In the baby aisle at Target….what a joke! I cannot tell you how long I stood in the middle of the row just staring at the list. At one point, a lady came over and gently placed her hand on my shoulder before asking if she could help me find something on the list. I must have looked incredibly overwhelmed because I got the head cocked look combined with “Bless your heart” eyes. And man alive! Babies are expensive! This simply confirms my sneaking suspicion that I am most definitely not ready to be a mother yet.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Glad to know you are not in a rush on this one.... the baby aisles have changed a bit in 24 years, but I do know that you already have what a baby needs; the ability to love unconditionally and a great love of books. Everything else falls into place after that! Love you !

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!! Too funny. You know, you just never know what you are capable of until God lays it on you. This is coming from a girl who never babysat kids and had never changed a diaper until she had her own kid. But I agree with your mom that you shouldn't be in a rush on this. Just wanted you to know that you made me smile today.