Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Happy Ending

The cherry on top of an already amazing summer was South Africa.  With Christa and the Sheasbys there, it made perfect sense to take in a bit of winter and beauty before heading back to Cairo.  I went in expecting this to be a fun trip but it exceeded my expectations in just about every way!

Having never been and never really knowing much about South Africa, this made for a really interesting trip.  While there were a lot of fun things along the way, it was really interesting to talk to different locals and get their takes on the countries history, current standings, and anticipations of what the future holds.  There were some pretty diverse opinions and views on things.  Even though the future is pretty uncertain, I know one thing for sure - South Africans love their home!

While we didn't make it to the top of Table Mountain, Cape Town provided some beautiful things to see.  From Shark Cage Diving to Penguins to amazing views, I loved it.  Christa was a great hostess and provided an amazing tour.  She shared some of her favorite places, opened up her home, and humored ever whim that hit.








After Cape Town, it was off to the Sheasbys and Durban.  I don't know how I got away without pictures of this amazing family.  It was so good to see my friends again and see what they are doing now.  I fell in love with their kids all over again.  One day was spent in Valley of 1,000 Hills.  I had heard a lot about it and really wanted to go.  So glad that happened!  I think I said "Wow!" or "It's so beautiful!" about 527 time that day.  Maybe more.  Be thankful I'm limiting it to one photo.


After Durban, it was off to Johannesburg.  We got to see another type of township, learn more of the history, see a play, and drive right up to rhinos and lions.






One thing that makes a trip so wonderful is your travel buddy.  I mean - 10 days with lots of plane and car rides ensures you need to choose carefully.  Not only someone who you can laugh with, have good conversation with, be silly with, and make decisions with, but someone who can tolerate you for that long as well as giving you time with your friends.  Thankfully, I found that.  Kris made this an amazing trip and I could not be more thankful to have had him there.  

No comments: