Tuesday, May 08, 2012

To Be Thought a Beauty

Tonight I was checking on things one more time before going to bed and I saw that my sister posted this:

L was quiet on the drive home from MDO. Why? "Because I love Daryl and he said I'm not pretty." So it begins.

First, I just have to ask this question:  Who is Daryl and why has he completely lost his everloving mind?  In 15 years he will look back at this amazing three year old and hang his head in regret for what he said.  I mean, just look at her:



Now don't get me wrong, it is my understanding that she is every bit a three year old.  But that's just it, she is three years old.  She shouldn't be hearing that she isn't pretty at three years old - even if it is from a three year old boy.  I'm so thankful that she has amazing parents, especially a father, that won't let that take root.

Overreacting aunt?  Maybe a bit but I think not.  Knowing that you are beautiful is something a woman needs to know.  I've been encountering it a lot lately from women of all ages:

- In my class is a little girl who is just a tomboy.  Not just tomboy but TOMBOY!  However, when you look her in the eyes and tell her how beautiful her smile is, she lights up from the inside out.
- I was changing at the gym the other day and I overheard some girls that looked about ten years old talking about which is better: to be called pretty or beautiful.  I so wish I had a recorder to have captured those few minutes.  It was so funny in the sweetest of ways!  When I mentioned it to Jen later that evening, she and I both immediately knew the correct answer - beautiful!  We too have thought about this.
- I'm reading a memoir of a girl, her father, and their relationship as told through books they have read together.  I've just finished the part when she was 16 and her dad got choked up at the sight of her about to leave for the prom.
- I've been in so many conversations with girlfriends lately about their desire to get back in shape for _______ (insert name here).  They want to be beautiful for him.
- I know wives that after years of marriage, they still want to be beautiful for their husbands.

For years I thought is sounded vain and silly, this beauty thing.  I don't anymore.  It's a part of being a woman.  We are so hard on ourselves and just want to know that someone sees it in us.  Not just someone but someone that matters.  It doesn't matter if we are three years old or 103, we want to be beautiful.  To be told you aren't pretty or to just simply be ignored is damaging to our hearts.

So my sweet Liz, if I were not so far away I would scoop you up, look into your lovely eyes, and tell you how you are the most beautiful three year old I've ever seen.  Every word of it would be true.

1 comment:

Amy said...

She IS beautiful, just like her mother and her aunt!! Boys....