Tuesday, December 06, 2011

My First Expat Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving approached, it was so bizarre. It almost seemed a non-event because, well, all around us, it was. With the elections and the fact that we aren't in America, it wasn't a big deal. So a few of us got together and decided to make our very first Thanksgiving meal. One of the best decisions I've made in the past three months!

We started Wednesday afternoon by taking our list to our neighborhood market for shopping. Yes my American friends - we shopped the night before. And it was beautiful. And easy. And we found everything we needed. And it was all delivered to us. Don't worry, it's OK to be jealous.

Thursday morning came early but it met us with warm kitchens, delicious foods, and lots of talking/laughter. Everyone spent the day in the kitchen whipping up amazing dishes. I learned how much you can make without the canned foods we take for granted in America. Can you say only two cans used? (chicken broth and cranberry jelly) Oh my goodness, yum! Our table was the picture of gluttony. I learned that I actually do like sweet potato casserole!

As we sat around the table enjoying our hard work, we spent time looking ahead. We all enjoyed it so much we decided to do it again in seven years. We spent time talking and teasing about what life will be like in 2018. There was a serious amount of laughing involved and I feel secure to say that I good time was had by all.

As we ate and laughed, I couldn't help but feel truly thankful. If you would have asked me a year ago, I never would have thought I would be celebrating Thanksgiving in Cairo, Egypt. Yet, here I was surrounded by some pretty amazing girls. I knew Jen was fabulous before coming over but the past few months have confirmed it! Not only is she funny and a great cook but knows how to love people well. I didn't know Emily at all before coming and now I'm so thankful I do! Definitely one of my new favorite people and I'm so glad she stayed one more year. Tessa is my buddy in trying to figure out KGII in Cairo. She has a tender heart and is quick to help out anyone who needs her.

I did miss my family on Thanksgiving but I was reminded of a very important fact. You can have family wherever you are. These girls share life with me here and I'm better for it. But the family isn't limited to them. I've been so blessed to know several different people here in Egypt. They are making me better for knowing them. So for Thanksgiving 2011, I'm thankful for my little Cairo family!

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

So grateful to hear that you had a wonderful Cairo Thanksgiving. I thought about you a lot on Thanksgiving day, Dana. :)