Saturday, September 17, 2011

Confirmation

June 15, 2011 is a day that I will never forgot. I remember I got up about 9:00 because it was the first day of summer vacation that I had to sleep in. Between appointments and Grandma's latest trip to the hospital, rest just hadn't really happened yet. I got out of bed and went through my morning routine. As I was finishing up, I decided to jump on facebook and there to my surprise was a message from Ms. Jen Cates. There is was an open position to teach Kinder in Cairo with her. You can go back and read all of the details but I thought I would share a bit that I left off now.

I remember reading Jen's message and just knowing that if I responded yes, I would have the job. I can't explain it but I knew more clearly than I have known anything in a long time. I remember sitting with my hand on the keyboard drumming my fingers on the home row of the keyboard and just staring at the screen. I would start to type my yes and a million questions flooded my mind - uncertainties, the unknown, the what ifs, the what I'll be missings. Then I would erase it and type but no and everything in my would tighten up - as if it were the biggest mistake of my life. I had to get out of my head. I had to remember that no matter what I decided, if it wasn't aligned with God, what was the point. So I stopped and prayed. I felt the need to turn on iTunes and let it randomly choose a song. The one that came on was "I Will Follow" by Chris Tomlin. It brought me to my knees. My what ifs and all of that didn't matter. What mattered was my willingness to go where the Lord was opening doors. So I prayed something that I never prayed before. I asked that for once I not look eight steps down the road but to take the first with my eyes on the Lord. So I sent in a yes. The doors started flying open and seven weeks later, I landed in Cairo.

Fast forward a bit. The first few weeks were good but a big rough. It took three weeks but I was finally able to visit a church. The worship leader was good and everyone was so kind. We were wrapping up service and it was announced that we were going to learn a new song. He started playing and the lyrics to "I Will Follow" came on the screen. Tears, ya'll. I tried not to but there I was, the new girl crying in church. It was contained well but not stopped. It was a reminder of why I'm here. It doesn't matter the momentary circumstances, I've been sent here. It was a beautiful and humbling reminder.


1 comment:

Angie said...

Me thinks you are in the flow of life, love and path. Welcome!! Love the affirmations and your ability to receive. Thanks for sharing! ~Angie