Monday, August 15, 2011

Timely Words

Last week, my family packed up and spent the week in Ruidoso, NM. When asked what I wanted to do before heading to the dessert, it was a no brainer - beautiful mountains. Don't worry, pictures will follow. There were many things I hoped for and was more blessed by what I got. Because He is God, His ways are always better than mine. Instead of star filled nights, we got a cloudy sky that intensified one of the brightest full moons I've ever seen. Instead of afternoon hikes in the mountains, we got daily showers that made the greens vibrant and the air smelling as clean and thick with pine.

Before getting the Ruidoso, I was praying to hear from God. It's a kind of big season in my life and I wanted to hear from Him. All week I waited for it but it was not His timing. On the last evening, Mom asked what I needed to do this week. I was going over my lists and was internally getting overwhelmed with a touch of panic. So I spent some more time that night on the balcony waiting to hear from the Lord. In fact, it never came in the mountains. It came in the car on the way home. My niece had received a tiny tea set to play with her princess toys. On the way home, she was trying to "pour tea" into the smallest cup ever and then help the closest Disney princess drink it. Needless to say, this isn't the easiest thing to do for a two and a half year old. I tried to help her by showing her that the tea pot could clip to her car seat straps and it wouldn't fall. She did not think this was a great idea. She wanted it off immediately and Aunt D could not get it off quick enough. As I tried to unhook it, she tried to help me get it off quicker. I finally had to explain that it didn't help. Her sweet fingers were getting in the way of what I wanted to grasp. And as much as I love those sweet fingers, I couldn't get it done. I finally had to simply say, "You have to let go so I can help you."

Punch in the gut.

As I we were driving back, my lists and plans for this week were mounting in my mind. My anxiety was beginning to grow - could I get it all done? So much to do with increasingly less time. I very simply felt the Lord say, "Dana, you have to let go so I can help you."

Ouch.

That's what I do. I make plans and lists. I get an idea of how I think things will go and I set my nose to the grindstone. The fact of the matter is, God sees how it works. He sees the timing of things and the best way to do them. If I can remember to get out of His way, He can/will help me. He's ready and willing.

I still made lists for this week. I'm still being responsible with my time. However, I'm not stressing over them. I'm willing to let them go if needed. It will get done with the Lord's help.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you got that message. God is so very timely with His messages, not always in the timing we were expecting. As we are facing (in 6ish month) moving back to the US, I have started to go into panic mode a little bit ("This is the only home Levi remembers! How will I help them adjust?!?"). The Lord has reminded me over and over that He has already performed this kind of work in my life. He brought us to Singapore, helped us adjust, gave us sweet friends, took care of our every need. Sometimes I forget that He did all that. Shame on me! We're studying Isaiah in BSF, and 41:10 is resonating with me again:

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

And He will.

Mindi Tipps said...

We serve such a sweet and generous God. Isn't it amazing that the creator of the universe wants to help us? Amazing.

Love you, friend. And praying for you...

Unknown said...

Handing over your week to God is such a wonderful way to start the week.

Amy said...

Looking back on it now, I know you saw God's peace and steadfastness in getting it all done... now, He is with you during the transistion. I love you and marvel at your bravery!