Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Settling....

Well, I've offically been in Egypt for 42 hours and it has been busy! So far we have been on a tour of the part of town we are living in. It isn't that big but seems huge since I'm still adjusting. I keep thinking that this is all of Cairo but I know I am wrong. Mind boggling! I'm starting to get my bearings a bit but I know it isn't a permanent since of stability because.....

We've been apartment searching and we found one! I say we because I have also found a roommate. We were a pretty good match in terms of what we were looking for. She's a sweet girl and we are getting a beautiful place. I'm very happy with it for a couple of reasons. I'll just be honest, it's a nice place. Not only is it nice but I'll be in the same building as my friend Jen who recuited me to come. Super excited about that! We go to negotiate terms and sign papers tonight. Then they will have about a day and a half to clean. We go shopping on Thursday to get what we need for settling in and will move in that night. That is, if all goes well. I'm learning that Egypt moves at its own pace. I'm going to have to adjust to that a bit more. I think that once we are in and are making it more of a home, things will feel a bit more settled.

I'm doing OK with home sickness. It hits a couple of times a day but I don't let myself dwell on it. When I'm overwhelmed or if I see pictures, it seems to hit more. But overall, I'm doing better. I'm crying less. That may change once I get to Skype but for now, email is GREAT! I've met some really nice people that I'm excited about. Some I feel more comfortable with than others. I know it will get there. It's just hard establishing a new social life - especially when you are initially an introvert but open up more as you get to know people. Some here have been very easy to talk to so that's helpful. I'm just hoping that we'll stay in touch once we are spread out to our new homes rather than in our current little bubble.

So there you go. Less than 48 hours in and things are going pretty well.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah!! Another item off your "to do" list! Can't wait to see/hear more about the apartment... soon it will feel very routine to you. I'm really glad you are so near Jen, and that God provided the roommate you so desired. Can't wait to learn more about her, either. Anxious to hear your voice! I love you -

Mindi Tipps said...

You're there! Yay! So happy to hear you found a roommate and a nice place to live! Praise God.

Looking forward to seeing pictures- but no rush! You're a tad busy.

Love you, friend.