Friday, February 11, 2011

Reflecting on Bad Dates

After a long week, I usually do one of two things. I either go home and crash or I meet up with some friends for Mexican food. I prefer the second and got to do that tonight. So much fun and I do love these girls. We are all single so often dating comes up - well, it always comes up. To give us some credit, it comes up in various forms. One of my favorites is the first date horror stories. They are the single woman's battle scars. We moan and groan at these poor, clueless men. We laugh at the bullets we've dodged. We shake our heads that this is reality instead of something from a bad movie.

Tonight, when it was my turn to share, I told my fall back bad date story of the guy who played with his face fat and refused to talk all night long. Believe me, it was painful. We all shared and had a good sigh that we survived to tell about "it". However, I found myself sharing another story after that. Since blogs are public and there is the very slight possibility that he may have access to it, I won't go into all of the details here - I do believe in some privacy no matter how bad it was. Let's just say that as I heard the words coming out of my mouth and saw the horror on my friends' faces, I knew that this was THE worst date ever. I know that I am prone to exaggeration but this time, there was none of it. It was THAT bad. My parents were even witness to some of it so they can vouch for me. At the end of my retelling, they all stared at me and said, "You win!"

As I told the story, I found myself thinking, "Did that really happen? Did I really experience that? What in the world!?" It was one of those things that while I was going through it, things didn't seem that bad. But hearing myself say it, watching others react to it, looking at it nearly 10 years removed, it was that bad! It was a good reminder that sometimes being single is a huge blessing!

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

OK, now you've got me curious! :)